Monday, February 05, 2007

The mystery deepens even more here as we get a sense of just who Abraham really was and what his awesome role in the world took on.

191. And why did they despise it? Is it not written (Genesis 26:5), "Because Abraham hearkened to My voice, and kept My watch, My commandments, My decrees, and My Torahs." What is the meaning of "My watch"? It refers to what the Attribute of Kindness said: As long as Abraham was in the world, I did not have to do my job. Abraham stood there in my place and "kept my watch." It is my task to bring merit to the world, and even when people are guilty, I bring them merit. I also bring them back, directing their hearts to do the will of their Father in heaven. All this Abraham did, as it is written (Genesis 21:33), "And he planted a tamarisk in Beersheba, and he called there in the name of the Lord, God of the world." He would share his bread and water with all the people in the world, bringing them merit. Seeking to convince them, he would say, "Whom then are you serving? Serve the Lord, God of heaven and earth." He would preach to them until they would repent. How do we know that he would also bring merit to those who were guilty? It is written (Genesis 18:17), "Shall I then cover from Abraham what I am doing? Abraham is becoming a great, mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him." [God said,] "I will give him merit. I know that he will seek mercy for them and be worthy." Is it then possible to say that the Blessed Holy One did not know that they could be saved? But He told this [to Abraham] to bring him merit. From here they said, "If one comes to purify himself, they help him. If one comes to defile himself, they open for him." What is the meaning of, "they open for him"? It refers to those that are always open.

Commentary: Remember the story about how Abraham argues with Hashem in Ex: 24-33 that if Hashem should find ten righteous men the city of Sodom should be saved? This shows us what kind of person Abraham was that he would intercede here for the righteous. First of all imagine a world where no one is paying any attention to Hashem and then imagine that Abraham is praying for everyone and that through his actions the entire world is sustained. Man can only survive by acting in concert with Hashem. This is what this verse is speaking of in its own mystical way.

192. [It is written that Abraham kept] (Genesis 26:5), "My commandments, My decrees, and My Torahs." He said, "Since I do not want [the precious stone], I will keep all the commandments that are included in it." What is the meaning of "My Torahs"? This teaches us that he knew and kept even the decisions (Horah) and discussions that are taught on high.

Commentary: At Abraham’s level of understanding and commitment he was able to partake in the studies of the holy academy that have been going on since time immemorial. Consciousness develops through inquiry. Abraham has reached the elevation of thought known as Torahs. These are the teachings that come in response to his inquiries and conversations with Hashem. What is mentioned here are the decisions and discussion that are taught on high. When you ask the right questions the answers are considered on high and your thoughts undergo transformations accordingly. This precious stone refers to Jacob and to the center of consciousness known as Tiphereth. It is one thing to listen for the answers and know which thought to follow next within consciousness. It is something else to touch the center and then proceed in the way of Hashem. Abraham represents the way back for Israel and man in terms of listening within and being in touch with the highest of thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Philosophy Blogs - Blog Top Sites

Religion Blogs
Religion Blogs

Religion Blogs
Start Blogging Add to Technorati Favorites

ThinkExist.com Quotes